Wednesday, January 21, 2009

No. 16 machine quilted



After I basted together the piece and the batting and backing, I got to work on machine quilting the basic layout lines. My Singer is not especially fond of metallic Sulky so it was slow going. Still, it would have taken me a week or more to hand quilt what I did in an hour on the machine, and I want to save my fingers for the surface embellishment.

I don't know if I exactly like it yet -- I'm making it a variation of No. 14 from November, which is going to be hard to upstage -- but it's growing on me. The next step is to lay out and begin couching the embellishment fibers, and maybe do a bit of spot beadwork.

3 comments:

Dawn Montgomery said...

Do you have a particular favorite when it comes to beading and thread? It's absolutely lovely. :)

Lynn Viehl said...

For specialty projects and exotic materials I love working with old vintage silk threads; you can usually find spools of them in the old sewing baskets they sell in thrift stores and junk shops. Silk used to be used for darning socks, and even if it's an old spool it's still strong and very light. If I can't find a silk thread, I'll use Sulky.

For household use quilts I use Americana glaced cotton thread; it's the sturdiest.

I'm still learning a lot about beads. I love crystals, and Saworski (sp?) have the nicest cut, color and sparkle. Blue Moon has some interesting variety packs of beads in complimentary colors. Mostly I buy Czech glass beeds in the bulk tubes and stone specialty beads they sell by the hank at my fabric store. Stone beads tend to hold up a little better on projects like clothing that have to be washed.

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to win #14 and was stunned when I received it. The photos in no way even come close to doing justice to the beauty of the piece -- it is truly artwork! I seldom win things but this was a true "prize". Any suggestions on the best method to display yet preserve #14?

Thanks again!

Marie