Saturday, February 28, 2009

Signs of Spring

Friday, February 27, 2009

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Guild Scrap Challenge

My guild's challenge for February was to make a quilted piece out of one new fat quarter plus all the leftover scraps from our last sewing project, which for me was repairing the dresden quilt plate.

I don't know if I'll finish the embellishments and surface needlework in time for the March 1st deadline, but here's what I have finished so far:



The tough part of the challenge is that we couldn't trim or cut the leftover scraps; we had to use them in as-is condition (which is why I went with a crazy quilt.) The darkest amethyst patches were my new fabric, which I thought added a good deep note. Here's a close-up:



I had to put this aside in order to finish a project for work (will I ever finish anything I start in the sewing room this month?) but I'm hoping to pick it up this weekend.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Breaking Dawn

Monday, February 23, 2009

Vantage Point

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Attack of the Chocolate Bunnies

It's not even March yet, but I saw these out at the market today:



When they're all together like this I swear, they look evil.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

What is It?

Let's play a game. Look at this image below, and try to guess what it is. I'll give you a hint: it blew into my backyard during the last wind storm.



To find out how well you guessed, click on the image.

Friday, February 20, 2009

Party's Over

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cole loves Leaves

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dresden Remade



I liked working on this quilt. Mint is not my favorite shade of green, but it makes a nice backing for vivid violets, earthy greens and bolder Asian patterns. When this is done it's going to have a lot of visual pop. I'm also happy to have a chance to use up some scraps. After Christmas my scrap bags runneth over.

This section took about a week (I handsew veeeeerrry slowly these days) and since there are nineteen more plates to repatch it's going to take a couple of months to finish repairing this quilt. Still, it was the break I needed, and I'm quite pleased with how my color experiment turned out with this one.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Love Offerings

Monday, February 16, 2009

Sundog

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Note for Dawn

I'm not sure you'll revisit the comments where we were talking about me posting a demo on quilt repair, so just to let you know -- I uploaded a series of photos and instructions over on the stories blog here.

Frost Bites

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Friday, February 13, 2009

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hibiscus Azalea*



Thanks, Merrilee, for correcting me on the name of the flower. :)

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

No. 16 Taking a break



This is as far as I've gotten on the piece. I'm still not very happy with it. Some of the fibers I'm working with remind me of fur, and everytime I look at it now it looks hairy. My level of frustration is high enough that I know I need to take a break from it and do something else for a couple of days.

Fortunately I have a couple of repair jobs waiting in the sewing room, so I think I'll work on some traditional quilts for the next week.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lofty

Monday, February 9, 2009

Chew the Shoe Already

Cole has decided that our two cats are also puppies, and has been trying to coax them into playing with him. I was able to photograph one of these attempts.



Like most puppies, Cole loves to chew on shoes. He figures our cats should, too, and wants to share.



When Jak the cat didn't go for the shoe, Cole tried a sock. Still no luck.



I can almost hear Jak thinking in this one: "Sure, keep barking, pipsqueak. I know where you nap."

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Clean Up What?



Spotted while riding on a children's school bus (I was playing chaperon for some teens.)

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Grass Art

Friday, February 6, 2009

Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Dig

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

No. 16 fiber layering



I finished couching the background fibers and decided to layer and pin the rest of the medium- and light-colored fibers to finalize placement (it should not look this uneven or chaotic once I stitch each length into place.)

I'm not happy with the middle layer, which doesn't show through as much as I'd hoped, so I may add a few more violet and amber fiber strands to offset the lightness of the mostly light-gold top layer.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cole's New Chew Toy

Monday, February 2, 2009

Up, Up & Away

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Crystal Study