Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Quiltfail

As I mentioned over on the author blog, I finished the watercolor quilt I was embellishing with fibers. The colors are screwy; I couldn't get the dimensional effect I wanted, and I couldn't stand looking at it anymore, so I whipped through it this past weekend.

You might want to shade your eyes a little before you stare directly at the image.



Ick. And ick again. It looks moldy and hairy. Like garbage dump world. I even hate the binding, which I thought was darker than that.

This didn't work out at all the way I imagined, so back to the drawing board. I've learned that fibers are not my friends, and no matter how many beads you pile on top of a fiber art-type quilt, it still looks hairy. Good experience, or I'll likely think so, as soon as I can stop sulking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we are always may more critical than others. I know as a rule the knitter I hang with after you compliment them will point out every spot where there was something wrong or something they are not happy with. I look at everything I make as a learning experience - some have a lot more lessons than others. As a recipient of one of your quilts, I can't imagine it anything other than something beautiful.
Marie

nightsmusic said...

I think you're thinking ick because it didn't turn out the way *you* envisioned it, but it's very pretty in an abstract sort of way. I can tell what you were going for, and even though you didn't hit the way you wanted to, others might think the opposite.

theo

Margaret said...

While I understand you hate this right now and possibly forever, the sun/spiderweb effect is quite cool, and maybe something you could port to your next, smaller, project :).

Dawn Montgomery said...

I've never been able to get fibers to work the way I want. I agree with Margaret on the webbing and rays. Beautiful handwork.

I know it's been a while since I've been to the blog, but I'm so happy to see you moving on to another project!