Monday, May 11, 2009

Keys Week

Cole, the furry love of my life, likes to sit under my feet while I'm working on the computer. Unfortunately he decided to quietly chew through my camera cable while doing so on Sunday, so until the replacement arrives I can't upload any new photos from my camera.

In the meantime, I'm going to post some old shots from one of my favorite places on the planet -- the Florida Keys -- along with a little history and info.

There are 882 charted islands south of the Florida mainland, although not all are known as the Keys. If you add in all the other islands that stretch down to the Dry Tortugas, the figure is more like 1700. The Keys are the remains of massive prehistoric coral reefs, or sand bars built up around them.

It's startling to see one of the Keys from the water:



Scientists believe over the millenia that sea level patterns have cause the ocean to alternately cover and uncover the Keys, and the next full-immersion is said to be due in about 1300 years (I hope these folks are insured.)

No comments: