Monday, August 17, 2009

Repair Job

A guild swap brought me leftover pieces of a silk, satin and velvet crazy quilt someone cut up for crafts. I could weep; the patchwork is mostly intact and the piece is about forty or fifty years old:



I don't have enough pieces to reassemble the quilt, and its fragile state makes it unusable for anything but display, so I'll make some art out of it. This is the best piece of the lot, with only a few shattered silk patches, as you can see from this detail:



Judging by the colors and patterns it was probably made of scraps saved from silk garments and linings.

Another interesting thing about these pieces is the backing. Although the quilt was tied rather than quilted (most crazy quilts are tied) the maker picked out some quilting patterns on the pale blue satin backing to make it appear as if it had been quilted. I don't think I've ever seen that done before:



Oh, and it smells awful -- like it's been sitting in a moldy closet for a few decades -- so I've got to do something about that, too.

1 comment:

Charlene said...

I'm sure you will rescue it and turn it into something lovely. : )