This month's issue of Quilting Arts magazine had an interesting article on a gelatin monoprint process (which I did try, with mixed results.) While I had out the fabric paint to experiment with printing on a plate of Jell-O, I decided to use a scrap to mop up the excess paint, which resulted in an interesting swatch of amethyst/dark green/silver fabric.
Since I didn't have anything in mind, I decided to quilt the rag with an experimental stitch pattern I want to use on a larger piece:
It's like plaiding -- I used three different colors of thread in a X overlap of the straight-line stitching:
It looks especially nice on the batik backing fabric, too:
I don't know what I'm going to turn it into (probably a gift bag) but it's definitely fun just messing around with a small project on the spur of the moment.