Sunday, August 9, 2009

Stitch Collision

This month's issue of Quilting Arts magazine had an interesting article on a gelatin monoprint process (which I did try, with mixed results.) While I had out the fabric paint to experiment with printing on a plate of Jell-O, I decided to use a scrap to mop up the excess paint, which resulted in an interesting swatch of amethyst/dark green/silver fabric.

Since I didn't have anything in mind, I decided to quilt the rag with an experimental stitch pattern I want to use on a larger piece:



It's like plaiding -- I used three different colors of thread in a X overlap of the straight-line stitching:



It looks especially nice on the batik backing fabric, too:



I don't know what I'm going to turn it into (probably a gift bag) but it's definitely fun just messing around with a small project on the spur of the moment.

6 comments:

Ayla said...

I just wanted to say how much i love these posts. I've always wanted to experiment with quilting but it looks so difficult. It's nice that i can see your processes and amazing creations instead :D

nightsmusic said...

Your "mop up rag" is gorgeous! Isn't it funny how sometimes, the things we use with the intention of tossing it become the things we have the most enjoyment with and keep the longest?

Dawn Montgomery said...

It's gorgeous! I love the stitching! Do you use cotton or acrylic thread for your hand stitching?

Lynn Viehl said...

Ayla wrote: I've always wanted to experiment with quilting but it looks so difficult. It's nice that i can see your processes and amazing creations instead

Thanks for the kind words. I started quilting just by reading books about it and remembering some of the things my grandmother used to do, so it is possible to learn from books. They also have some simple kits on the market for small projects if you want to give it a try. :)

Lynn Viehl said...

Theo wrote: Isn't it funny how sometimes, the things we use with the intention of tossing it become the things we have the most enjoyment with and keep the longest?

Oh, yes. I love recycling paint rags into something beautiful and usable, or as experimental bits like this. I gave up using paper towels for paint spills last year and now use cloth rags so I can get a neat/abstract piece of cloth from every dribble. :)

Lynn Viehl said...

Dawn wrote: Do you use cotton or acrylic thread for your hand stitching?

I usually use glace cotton quilting thread for big projects, but for this little one I used three different kinds of sewing/embellishing threads: Silver holoshimmer Sulky (which is silvery rainbow colors), sea-green metallic Sulky, and lavender Gutterman polyester thread.

Holoshimmer Sulky is the hardest to work with, as it's hair-thin plastic and doesn't have a lot of tensile strength. It's better suited for embellishment, but I love the look of it, so I sometimes use it on quilted objects that aren't going to be subjected to heavy use.