Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Unwholecloth Challenge

I'm not going to finish this by the October 1st deadline, but I thought I'd give you a peek anyway. The challenge was to do a small wholcloth quilt without using the traditional method of making one, and here are five of the six 13" X 9" panels I have finished:



I went with a quilt-as-you-go technique, which merges piecing with quilting by using quilt stitches to hold together two pieces of my batik fabric with batting between them. I followed the resist lines in the fabric with my stitching to emphasize the flow of the dyes used:



Once I have the sixth panel finished, I'll bind these panels in two rows of three with flat strips of black bias tape on each side (this also makes it completely reversible.) If it all works out, it should look like a window view of an abstract landscape. Here's another of the panels with some great colors in it:

1 comment:

nightsmusic said...

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see the finished piece.