Monday, June 28, 2010

Grasshopper Weather

I was sitting on the porch when I heard a sound exactly like a softball hitting the ground. I looked at some rustling in the grass, expecting to see a wounded bird or something, and instead spotted this:



I've seen a lot of grasshoppers in my day, but this one had really cool colors and patterns on his outside. He was also gigantic. I looked around for something I could use for scale, but all I had were my guy's size 9 flipflops. When I put one down next to the bug, he was nice enough to crawl over it:



His legs were unbelievably long, too. Here's a snap where they're stretched out:



Now I'm trying to find out what kind of grasshopper he is. After looking through a bunch of photo sites I think he might be a variety of Southern Lubber (Romalea guttata), which is supposed to be pretty common in my region.

7 comments:

nightsmusic said...

He's cool! I just get the little brown and green ones, but him! How long did he stick around? He looks like he's the size of a baby bird.

nightsmusic said...

And I think you're right. Here's a big picture of one laying an egg. At least I hope that's an egg...

eww

http://www.pbase.com/mschiff/image/46038850

Lynn Viehl said...

Theo wrote: How long did he stick around?

About a half hour. He crawled the length of the porch and then disappeared into the bushes by our driveway. He was about as big as the baby doves are just after they're born. :)

Lynn Viehl said...

Theo wrote: And I think you're right.

Thanks for the link, that one looks much more like ours than the examples I found. I don't want to know what he's doing, though. ;)

Charlene Teglia said...

I saw a grasshopper in the backyard the other day; first one I'd seen this year. Must be that time. You got great pictures!

Elizabeth said...

I just noticed the link to this blog from pbwriter. I've always enjoyed the photos over there, and these are just as fantastic.

Although I often enjoy photo blogs, sometimes they can be a bit overwhelming. Yours is the antithesis of that, and demonstrates what I love so much about photography. You've taken a relatively simple camera, and simple subject (home), and captured just how magical it can be. Thanks for letting us share it.

By the way, those spiders may be magical, but I'm still pretty sure I'd scream if I walked into one of those webs, lol.

Elizabeth said...

Oops, put that comment on the wrong post. The grasshopper is awesome; I was talking about the nightweaver spiders about two posts down.