Thursday, June 10, 2010

In Plain Sight

When I take the pup out at night I turn on flood lights to help me see any critters that might be prowling on the property. Sometimes, though, that doesn't always help me see everything:



Fortunately my guy warned me that the night spinners -- spiders who build webs in strange places after dark and then take them back down before dawn -- were back, and when I turned off the outside lights, sure enough:



I had to take a shot from the side in order to get the web to show up, and I didn't try to get too close, so you can't really see how huge this particular web was. I figure it was almost as tall as me, about four feet wide, and had anchoring threads that ran thirty feet from a nearby tree to our walkway plants:



Careful where you walk at night.

2 comments:

nightsmusic said...

Seems like a tremendous amount of work just to catch a fly, doesn't it? But they really are beautiful.

Charlene Teglia said...

I didn't know there were spiders that put up and took down webs overnight. What an amazing world we live in.