Sunday, September 26, 2010

Conversation with a Mantis



Mantis: "Hey. Lady. Why did you kill my tree?"

Me: "I didn't kill your tree. I trimmed off one branch that was getting ready to fall on my roof. You were just standing on the wrong leaf at the wrong time."

Mantis: "I'm homeless. You've turned me into a refugee. And you killed part of my tree. I'm not living in an amputee oak."



Me: "I have not amputated or killed anything, but I'm starting to think about it. Look, there are plenty of other trees in the yard. Go live in one of them."

Mantis: "I can't walk that far. Your dogs will eat me before I reach it. See how that little one is staring at me with her evil black eyes--"

Me: "All right, I'll carry you over to another tree."



Me: "Here you go. Have a nice life. Wait, hold still so I can get one more photo for the blog."

Mantis: "Drop dead, tree-killer." (zips up new tree)

2 comments:

nightsmusic said...

How cool! I love Mantis's. No, I don't want to watch them eat their mate though.

I do buy them by the box in spring, usually three or four 'eggs' to a box. I get several hundred little tiny green babies (since I can't think of what they're really called when they first emerge) and only end up with three or four by the fall.

But they're pretty interesting.

How did it feel to have it crawling across your skin?

Charlene Teglia said...

Sounds about right. *g* And you did it a good deed anyway.