Friday, January 6, 2012

Thousand Cards Project

The Japanese have long believed that folding one thousand origami cranes is a labor of love as well as a way to get a wish. I happen to love origami, and have folded quite a few cranes in my time, but I've never attempted a thousand of them.

While we were out with our daughter on her birthday, I saw this display of a thousand cranes (and I apologize for the poor quality of the shot; I was shooting through a dark screen):



Seeing the cranes and recalling the legend behind them made me wish I could create a thousand of something. I thought of quilts first, but they're very time-intensive, and I wanted to do it in a single year. I might be able to paint a thousand watercolors, but I suspected I'd get very tired of painting. I have stacks of magazines with creative projects and techniques that I've been wanting to test drive, but most require a lot of time, too.

Then I thought of a project that would allow me to use virtually any technique I wanted to try; one I could work on easily every day. I even had a book in my collection to give me at least a thousand ideas:



ATCs, or artist trading cards, are miniature art works that have become very popular with artists, crafters and other creative folks. The only restriction is the size of the card, which must be 2.5" X 3.5" (63 mm X 89 mm.) You can make the card out of any material using any technique you want, which allows for endless possibilities.



Since I'd already started making ATCs this year for my story prompts project, I decided to run with this as my annual art project. Thus my goal for 2012 is to make 1000 cards, or about three per day. I'm really excited by this challenge because I think it will help me acquire some new skills, give me a daily reason to rediscover art, and result in a neat collection that won't take up ten closets in my house.

5 comments:

nightsmusic said...

You have 10 closets?? O_o

Kidding! That crane display is beautiful and really, if one folded three per day, they'd hit 1000 before the end of the year. But I really love those little cards. Will you let us see them as you finish them?

Lynn Viehl said...

Theo wrote: You have 10 closets??

I used to. Now I have ten former spaces packed to the rafters with books, journals, manuscripts, fabric, quilts . . . lol.

That crane display is beautiful and really, if one folded three per day, they'd hit 1000 before the end of the year. But I really love those little cards. Will you let us see them as you finish them?

Not many to show so far (only up to 21 as of today.) I was toying with the idea of posting a group shot once or twice a month of what I'd accomplished; have to work up my nerve for that.

nightsmusic said...

Oh, come on! Your artwork is gorgeous. And a group shot a couple times a month would be wonderful.

And I keep forgetting that in Florida, most people don't have basements which would explain all the closets though I have to admit, in the 11 years we've been here, I don't think I've been in my basement more than 5 times a year. I didn't have one growing up and the only use I can find for them is to collect stuff. Lots and lots of stuff. I've still got boxes down there from when we moved here that I haven't opened.

Darlene Ryan said...

Please? I'd love to see a group shot at least once a month.

You've inspired me to try the trading cards as well. Well, not 1000 of them.

Dawn Montgomery said...

I'm definitely inspired to make ATC's as well. I don't think I'm quite ready for 1000 yet, but we'll see. I'll use blank index cards for mine since I seem to have about 50k of them. lolol.