Friday, March 9, 2012

Light & Darkness Tote

As requested, here are some close-ups of the Light & Darkness quilted tote that I'm giving away over at my author blog:



For this tote I used two fabrics: a new, sky-blue embroidered batik I recently purchased from JoAnn's and a multi-colored dark batik from my stash that I believe I bought from a quilt shop in Georgia.

Here's the dark side:



I wanted to make the tote completely reversible, so I double blind-stitched all the structure seams. Hand-quilted pieces are not easy to make reversible, though, as the back side of my quilting never looks quite as nice as the front. To solve this problem, I used Sulky Holoshimmer in dark emerald green to hand quilt big running stitches (Sashiko style) around the embroidery on on the light side. This created a nice abstract scatter effect on the dark side.



I sewed the shoulder strap (just a simple strip of the two fabrics sewn together) side-to-side to make it 100% reversible. think it came out pretty neat.

1 comment:

nightsmusic said...

I think it's beautiful! Did you hand dye the material? It's very reminiscent, at least in the pics, of my '60's and '70's eras...