Thursday, September 19, 2013

Stitched Burnout Velvet

On another side of the quilting design front, I tried something new with some patches of white burnout velvet that I stitched into an experimental crazy quilt bag. Once I had everything pieced I embellished the voids around the velvet with holographic Sulky thread in scatter stitch. Here's the velvet with violet Sulky:



Close-up:



And gold Sulky:



Close-up (sorry it's a bit blurry):



You have to keep the stitches pretty small and random, but the effect is really pretty.

5 comments:

nightsmusic said...

Did you do the burnout? I have a pillow that a friend made me that she did the burnout on herself first. I love the effect, and your stitching is gorgeous.

Lynn Viehl said...

I actually bought the burnout velvet from Dressmakers Studio on Etsy. She makes gorgeous gowns and stuff, saves her remnants and then sells them. I then turn the scraps I buy from her into bags and quilts. :)

I would love to learn how to do burnout velvet, though I don't think my hands are steady enough anymore.

nightsmusic said...

If I remember right, she used rubber stamps, a bit of water and a hot iron. But the stamps had to be heat resistant. She heated the iron, laid the velvet face down over the stamp, spritzed a bit of water to make it a bit damp, then held the hot iron over it. And the pattern was set.

This was a few years ago though and I'm sure they've come a long way since then. But the pillow I have is still as beautiful as the day I received it.

Lynn Viehl said...

Thanks for the info -- if it is that simple, maybe I can manage it. I'll do some research and see what I can find, as I have a huge amount of silk velvet I'd love to burnout.

Lynn Viehl said...

Thanks for the info -- if it is that simple, maybe I can manage it. I'll do some research and see what I can find, as I have a huge amount of silk velvet I'd love to burnout.