Monday, September 30, 2013

Uh-Oh

You may remember the little spider I had been trying to photograph for a couple of weeks with no luck, until I finally snapped this:



I've been trying to find out what sort of spider she is, but I need another shot of her. I went out yesterday to take another picture, and caught her this time while she was upside-down:



Now everything makes sense (how small she is, her skittishness, how fast she moves, building her web on our wooden bench swing) as the two red triangles on the underside of her abdomen indicate she's some species of widow spider.



Since her bite can kill, and I have twin toddlers living next door to us, she absolutely has to go. But I'm glad I took the time to investigate her species, because now I'll recognize any siblings or cousins she might have who try to move in.

2 comments:

nightsmusic said...

I'd have relocated her. I relocate the black ones here when they web too close to the house. Their bite is the most toxic. She's beautifully colored though.

Lynn Viehl said...

We did relocate her, Theo -- I try not to kill any spiders unless absolutely necessary (like if they're on me.) She's now happily spinning away in some brush on a nearby unoccupied property.