Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Earring of the Beholder

Today's pic has an interesting story attached to it. Backstory first: I recently lost one of my favorite pair of garnet post earrings, and made a stop at a local department store to see if I could find a match. While in the jewelry section I heard an older woman a couple feet from me fuming to her companion about something. Her face was so red I almost could hear her blood pressure spiking. When her friend went off (presumably to get a sales clerk) I went over and asked if everything was okay.

"I'm just upset over that!" She jabbed a finger at the earring display in front of her. "How could they sell something so horrible?"

"This?" I touched the offending word earrings, and she nodded. And this is what upset her:



I don't much care for word jewelry -- it's usually banal or offensive, no middle ground -- but with this pair I couldn't figure out why she was so angry, so I asked, "What's so horrible about hope?"

"Hope?" She peered at the earrings again and then let out the strangest sound. "I thought they spelled rape!"

No comments: