Saturday, October 11, 2014

What-If Keepers

To wrap up Keepers week I have a trio of what-ifs from my 1000 cards project. No matter how much anyone does in their creative life, I think we all wonder what would be if we take another direction and try a different art. These three illustrate some of my what-ifs:



When I was a teen I was fascinated by miniature art, and created quite a few tiny paintings and sculptures. I was pretty good at it, too, although I eventually gave it up so I could concentrate on my quilting. Making the tiny button-faced doll for this ATC reminded of those days, and what might have been.



Sculpting, creating pottery and other tactile arts have always been out of my reach (literally, as my hands simply aren't strong or flexible enough to do the work.) Then someone invented paperclay, which I'd heard was incredible light, easily malleable stuff, and I decided to give it a go. This (admittedly awkward) snowman card was one of the results. I don't think I'll ever have the patience to sculpt but it was a lot of fun to try it.



As I mentioned last week I am not much of an assemblage artist, and I doubt I ever will be. You have to have a particular eye for this sort of art, I think. Still, sometimes inspiring objects like this wee bird push me to try anyway, and I'm glad I did.

No comments: